Thursday, March 12, 2009

Round of 13 Results Wrap-Up

Well, I'm eating a bit of early crow for just last night touting Jasmine as a potential sleeper in the competition. Not that her performance made her a no-brainer to advance by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the impression of her strong Wild Card performance would still be fresh enough in people's minds to earn her another chance next week.

So much for that.

Reading other people's predictions earlier in the day, Jorge was very nearly a consensus pick to be sent home. I can hold my head high on this one, as I had him in the bottom two in the Power Rankings. I guess I should take this opportunity to make it clear that the Power Rankings represent I feel each singer stands in the public's mind in the competition, and the weekly performance summaries are where I evaluate each one as a competitor only and ignore potential voting results.

Jorge deserved better than this. He was superior to about half the field on Tuesday, but he just didn't have any kind of X-factor working for him to boost his appeal. He was sweet, and so was Jasmine, but that will never be enough.

Hot Seat For Next Week: Anoop Desai

Even if there are indications he wasn't close to getting the boot tonight, Anoop's somehow skated by thus far without putting on a truly strong performance in any round. With pretty much everyone left possessing either talent or likeability, he has no choice but to stop being so mediocre.