Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An Introduction

Welcome to Scouting the Idols. This is my first season watching American Idol, but, more or less against my will, I've found myself immediately captivated by the competition. After watching the Top 13 perform earlier this evening (and drinking a bottle of wine) I was strangely overcome by an urge to write about the show.

Aside from a few years of piano lessons and playing the trumpet in sixth grade, I know nothing about music. Check that. I'm also an expert-level singer on Rock Band, but recognize that I have no business ever attempting to sing in a public setting. What I do have, however, is quite a passion for ratings, rankings, and sports. In that spirit, I've decided to apply the standard baseball scouting scale to this year's Idol contestants in an attempt to evaluate their performances and prospects in the competition.

My next post will explain in more detail the rating system, as well as the categories in which I'll be judging the contestants.